Friday, May 1, 2009

808 Police State

Yesterday I was waiting for a friend outside Mile End Tube Station. I noticed a police officer outside the station look at me several times during the course of 5, maybe 10 minutes (I was early for my rendezvous). 

The police officer approached me and enquired what I was doing hanging around at the station.

Minding my own business was my response. Why do I need to explain myself to a police officer when I am doing no wrong? 

Where are you from sir, are you British? Were you born in London? 

What this had to do with anything I dont know. Apparently, the officer informed, it is perfectly normal to ask people what they are doing in certain "high risk" areas. 

Why just yesterday she had managed to catch a villain by asking him what he was doing, and it turned out he was a wrong 'un. 1 out of how many? Policing by numbers? 

Now, I have nothing to hide, but I also expect my privacy to be respected. Apparently people are made to feel safe by the police acting in this way, personally, personally I dont feel the need to  report into Big Brother to feel warm and safe from all the nasty problems out there. exactly why do people want to bomb this country? Why do junkies rob old grannies? Is it because society has created these problems, society run by The Government, who then use these problems as reasons for further invading our privacy and civil liberties, slowly making us more dependent on them and used to our liberties being compromised bit by bit?

Slowly civil liberties are being eroded in this country.  CCTV is everywhere (more cameras in the UK than the rest of Western Europe combined), police using kettling techniques to hold innocent protesters against their will (but at least we have the right to demonstrate!), meetings of more than two people in public can be sanctioned by police if they deem it neccesary, we haven't had a right to silence for 15 years now, the present Government has made attempts to introduce trials without jury in certain circumstances. 

Check out The Freedom Bill from the Lib Dems, perhaps time for a change??

http://freedom.libdems.org.uk/

No comments: