Sunday, January 18, 2009

Peru....Poo


P1111473, originally uploaded by stangroomm.

This photo was taken in Quito in Lima. It´s Mike, carrying his skateboard in a pretty cool little street. So, what was Lima all about I hear you say. I don´t know is the answer. We stayed 3 days, it seemed pretty cool but I saw very little, disabled by diarrahea brought on by foolishly drinking a juice that must have been made with tap water, which my delicate English stomach didn´t agree with.

As such, I spent the next 3 days in close proximity of the hostel we were staying in. Lima did seem pretty nice, it´s cheap, got fairly good weather, a beach, although to be fair Peru doesn´t do it for me like Colombia did, or I expect Argentina and Brasil to.......anyway, we left Lima for the 22 hour coach drive to........

.....Aguas Calientes AKA Machu Picchu Pueblo. We will be going up to Machu Picchu tomorrow morning, hopefully to see the sun rising. It´s a bit of smash and grab job, we are doing this in a very shoddy and ill prepared manner.

Fact-Machu Picchu is South Americas most important archeological site.
Fact-It has been around for a very long time.
Fact-It was discovered in the 20th Century.
Fact-Some people spend years planning their pilgrimage here, even Aguas Calientes is unreachable by car, let alone the site itself, which lay buried for centuries for the good reason that it is bloody hard to get to.
Fact-Mike and I made no preperation whatsover and arrived in Cuzco, the nearest city, with no idea of what we were doing, other than we wanted to see Machu Picchu.
Fact-We should just make it in time back to Lima for our flight to Buenos Aires. Just.

Anyway, enopugh facts for now. Machu Picchu should provide for some awesome photos which I look forward to posting here soon.

I have been quite unlucky in Peru. I have been ripped off at the border by money changing blaggers, had my mobile half inched and got the runs. Surely nothing else can go wrong?

No comments: