Friday, October 31, 2008

San Francisco






The journey from Vancouver to San Francisco was fun. Fun that is if you like getting up at 4.30am, getting on a bus for 4 hours and then transferring to a train, for the next 26 hours. Although, as always the scenery was spectacular, which helps pass the time, as does a good book "Skinema" by this crazy guy http://www.chrisnieratko.com/ . Unfortunately the company over dinner on the train was not up to its usual standards, i got lumped ith a really boring Australian with a ridiculous Mr Tibbs from The Lion, The Witch and The Wardrobe type beard. 
Anyway, got to San Francisco, where I was staying for my first two nights with a friend of a friend of a friend from Vancouver, basically went out clubbing in Vancouver, got on well with this guy called Sonar who hooked me up with his buddy Josh in SF. Josh  was a real cool guy, we chilled at his place the frst night with a very entertaining friend of his called Henry "Mark, I'm going to be straight with you; do you smoke pot?" Vega. Henry kept us entertained and we had a quiet night in listening to some great music http://web.stephenmarleymusic.com/index.jsp and www.herbaliser.com .

The next day was spent chilling, eating, mooching around with Joshs room mate Terry, also a kug fu man, so we talked kung fu, politics, conspiracy theories etc. He told me a great story about his old sifu, who is now retired who fought Bruce Lee in the 60s in San Francisco. The fight was recreated in the movie Dragon, about Bruce Lee's life but apparently it didn't go the way Hollywood interpreted it ie the result of the fight was pretty much disputed, it would appear more likely against Lee's favour. I did a yoga class that night as well, that was great, and the teacher was gorgeous, a bonus I guess. That night Josh and I checked out some live underground hip hop and then a reggae club, Josh being a big reggae and dancehall fan.

The following morning was interesting. I was leaving Josh's to go stay with some couchsurfers in another part of town. Before leaving I ran into Joshs other room mate, an ex Dead Head, who were a bunch of hippies that followed The Grateful Dead on tour for pretty much 10 years solid, a non stop party. I can't remember his name right now, but anyway before leaving he offered me some cake. I was hungry, hadn't eaten breakfast and despite the fact that the cake was made with Cannabis butter thought i should have some to fill the gap in my rumbling stomach. About an hour later i really felt it, walking around with my rucksack on my back, looking for my couchsurfing host was super fun, saw some really strange folk as i wandered into the wrong part of town on my way but eventually hooked up with Jansen, one of the 3 guys i was staying with for the res of my time in SF. 

So we went and had a couple of beers and some food, met up with Felipe, Jansens house mate and then they took me out for a drive, over the Golden Gate and up into the hills for an awesome view of the bridge and the city beyond. That night, we hit Ashbury Haights and then somewhere else I don't remember before ending up in Felipes girlfriends bar, we she gave me a shot of what I believe was White Window, a phantom spirit that should never be drunk. Ever. It's basically the shot that finishes you off, and tastes like the wors drink you ever had. We've all had a White Window, it's just what I call it. That night we met an amazing dude called Hudson, who looked hard as nails, Hells Angels style and also rather wired, who was driving around in what must be an incredibly expensive 1930s Mercedes Benz, in immaculate condition, the kind of car you see in a museum and never on the road being driven by a high as a kite Hells Angel. Hudson rocked. Big time. 

Anyway, the following morning I concluded I must have ben drunk the night before, as I had a hangover. We went and had brunch, then some tourist stuff, ie down by Pier 39 for the sea lions, people watching etc and I had my first ever In and Out Burger, Californias finest and freshest burger joint. My advice is to order the Double Double (two burgers, two pieces of bread) and Fries, Animal style (covered in melted cheese and onions) and a Neapolitan shake (Vanilla, strawberry and chocolate flavours!). Just do it next time you are there, trust me.

That night was then spent at a Halloween dress rehearsal house party outside of San Francisco. There was probably about 30 people there, all very friendly and good fun. I learnt how to play beer pong (lost quite badly, which basically involved me having to drink alot of beer faster than i would like to do so), smoked grass through an hollowed out apple and had alot of laughs with some new friends. People are the same pretty much everywhere i guess, same frustrations, same hopes and dreams. Talking of which, Tuesday is the election, and it is really interesting to be here for such a momentous occasion, the wold can change for the better hopefully next week. The majority of my trip has been through the bigger cities of the US, as such the people tend to be more world facing than some of the Mid West states, the heartland of America, which I believe is more McCain territory, less liberal, more Conservative and of course as I am Couchsurfing i am tending to meet more liberal people, not everyone would invite a complete stranger into their home and welcome them as a friend (although my advice is DO IT, it will change your life for the better!). Anyway, this means pretty much everywhere i have been has been about Obama, these people are really hoping and praying for change, as a foreigner here i guess i am particuarly interested in US foreign policy ,and the perception of America over recent years outside of their huge country. The people i have met in general want a change, they have sen that they are no longer neccesarily seen as the good guys by the world and in general they want a change of direction, a return to the old fashioned America, some things here are pretty on top in terms of government and law, but i must say the people i meet in this country are amazing, kind, generous, full of life and enthusiasm, and all round decent people.

So, end of tangent and back on track. Sunday in SF was all about the game (American Football, the SF 49ers vs the Seattle Seahawks). And tailgating. Tailgating being parking your truck in the car park a few hours before the game, setting up base, chairs, tables, BBQ, beer and snacks. Some people even wire up TVs, lay down carpets and fly flags, it's mad. Unfortunately we missed the start of the tailgating due to over enthusiatic events of the night before, but we managed to get bargain tickets from touts ("Scalpers " in American English, something else that fascinates me mere, the language) and had a great time at the game. To be honest, I didn't watch much of the action, I was focussed on the crowd atmosphere, it is more like a party, friends meeting up, drinking beer, eating hot dogs and of course watching the gorgeous cheer leaders. I loved those girls. Every single one of them, great entertainment. It was nothing like a football game at home, slower paced, alot of razzamatazz and just really chilled, although 49er fans may see that differently as they got spanked on their home turf.

That pretty much concludes my time in SF. It is a crazy town, so many hippies and freaks, just everywhere in everyday places, unlike any other city i have visited. In fact, every town i have called into has had its own characters, adventures and personality/identity. It's a huge and diverse country.

No comments: