Wednesday, November 5, 2008

Yes We Can

As you have probably heard, the USA has a new President elect. I spent last night at the Democratic Party HQ in Albuquerque, New Mexico. It was wonderful to see people so full of hope and an incredible scene when McCain conceded the election, even better when Obama made his speech. People were crying with joy, dancing in the streets, you could feel the sense of hope and relief that there is going to be a change and it was great to witness it.

I've been here for the last couple of days, on my way to a town called Truth or Consequence (named after a TV game show!) to see an old friend from home, Lucy. Have stayed with two lovely hosts, Monica and Christine who were both over the moon with last nights result.

I had spent the previous week in LA. Originally had only planned to stay for a night on my way through but was persuaded otherwise by my awesome host Peak, she convinced me of some fun things to do as she had just lost her job so had loads of free time to show me round. After quite alot of partying recently in SF and Vancouver it was nice to have a more calm week, although of course Halloween is a huge party here. I dressed up as Austin Powers (as I have the glasses and accent it made sense) and we spent the night partying at some friends appartment and then went up to West Hollywood for the Halloween parade, a real freak show. However, I'm jumping ahead as alot happened earlier in the week.

Highlights of LA included singing "The Wichita Lineman" by Glen Campbell http://wyoutube.comww./watch?v=4qoymGCDYzU at a karaoke night in a Thai restaurant; going to the coolest lounge bar ever, The Dresden Room http://www.thedresden.com/lounge.html where we watched the legendary Marty and Elayne perform; going to a Krav Maga martial arts class; riding a tandem along Venice beach; an avant garde jazz concert performed at the Hammer Museum by Larry Ochs Sax http://www.outpostspace.org/node/566 , we even went for dinner in a swanky restaurant afterwards with the band, the drummer is a friend of Peaks, and even better the Hammer museum kindly picked up the bill! Another friend of Peaks was an actress who we watched dress rehearse her one woman show where she plays 4 characters, it was really impressive.

Probably my favourite experience though was going over to San Pedro to watch another of Peaks friends, Mike Watts record his monthly Podcast. It is recorded at his friends house, affectionately known as "The Love Grotto", home to the most righteous Brother Matt. We got there an hour late (of course) but were warmly received as we brought gifts of sushi, Doritos and salsa. The show always kicks off with a track from John Coltrane and lasts 3 hours, a combination of great, eclectic music, conversation and a 30 minute chill out mix from Brother Matt. I didn't realise how interactive our roles would be, Mike asked me about my favourite band (of course I answered The Stone Roses) amongst other questions and discussions the group had. It can be heard at http://twfps.com/ , I'm even listed as a guest on the website synopsis of the show, how bizarre! Anyway, there is some great music on there so worth a listen.

Other highlights of LA included the Nakatomi Building from Die Hard (it is in one piece, not like at the end of the movie) and the Getty Museum, which is beautiful.

As always dear reader uploading photos is awkward. Public libraries don't tend to let users connect anything to the PCs so I will try to get some shots up soon.

Next stop will be Truth or Consequence, where I am definitely looking forward to enjoying the hot springs. On Monday I leave for Mexico City, and from there Cuba where I am really looking forward to hearing the wonderful local music.

No comments: